EP4LA Workshop Series
The large-scale production, collection, aggregation, and processing of information from various learning platforms and online environments have led to ethical and privacy concerns regarding potential harm to individuals and society. In the past, these types of concern have impacted on areas as diverse as computer science, legal studies and surveillance studies.
Privacy is typically not very well defined in LAK and EDM papers. But the infamous inBloom case showed that privacy issues can be a showstopper for the application of learning analytics technologies. In order to make issues related to privacy more central to learning analytics application design, there is a need to unpack this concept in terms of its sociocultural context.
Within a European consortium that brings together the EU project LACE, the SURF SIG Learning Analytics, the Apereo Foundation and the EATEL SIG dataTEL, we aim to understand the issues with greater clarity, to find ways of overcoming the issues and to research challenges related to ethical and privacy aspects of learning analytics practice. This interactive workshops aim to raise awareness of major ethics and privacy issues. It will also be used to develop practical solutions for learning analytics researchers and practitioners that will enable them to advance the application of learning analytics technologies.
A series of #EP4LA events that started in October 2014 is being organised:
- 1st EP4LA @ Utrecht, NL, 28 October 2014
- 2nd EP4LA @ Education Days, NL, 11 November 2014
- 3rd EP4LA @ BDEDU, Washington, US, 11 November 2014
- 4th EP4LA @ Apereo Foundation, FR, February 2015
- 5th EP4LA @ JISC, UK, February 2015
- 6th EP4LA @ LAK15, USA, March 2015
- 7th EP4LA @ LAK16, UK, April 2016
- 8th EP4LA @ Duesto, Spain, 28 June 2016
- 9th EP4LA @ Tallinn, Estonia, 20 June 2016
- Kanazawa, Japan, 14 September 2016
- LASI-Asia, Seoul Korea, 19 – 20 September 2016
- LACE China, Beijing, 26 – 28 September 2016
- 10th EP4LA @ EC-TEL 2017, Tallinn, Estonia, 12 September 2017
More information on the upcoming workshop in Tallinn can be found here:
The latest outcomes
- DELICATE Checklist and
- LACE Review on Ethics & Privacy can be found under the Outcomes section of the LACE website under Ethics & Privacy.
- See also the Special issue of Journal of Learning analytics on Ethics and Privacy
- Privacy and Ethics Questions